Mountain biking is fun, exciting and helps you stay in great shape. But shopping for a new mountain bike can be confusing, time-consuming and stressful.
There are tons of mountain bikes available on the market. How do you find the perfect one for your needs? Well, whether you’re a mountain biking newbie or an experienced pro, our full review is here to help.
With an aluminum-alloy frame and SR Suntour XCT suspension fork, the Diamondback Recoil 29er is a mountain bike strong enough to handle rough, rocky trails while still providing plenty of comfort.
The bike is perfect for trail and cross-country riding. Depending on your skill level, the bike can handle jumping, downhill racing and all-mountain riding. The full suspension frame makes this a good choice for fast movement on even steep inclines.
With a simple, rather elegant construction this is one of the best bikes for beginners. You don’t have to be an expert in mountain bikes to be able to take this bike apart and keep it well-maintained.
A bike’s frame needs to provide a solid, sturdy foundation for every other component to build from. Fortunately, the frame is one of the highlights of the Recoil 29er.
The 6061 T-6 aluminum frame has a single-pivot design with 4-inches of travel. The T-6 aluminum is strong enough to handle bangs, bumps and spills on rocky trails.
But don’t worry, this durability doesn’t impact weight in any major way. This bike weighs a total of about 30 pounds. Also, you never quite know what conditions you’ll find outdoors, so being able to carry your mountain bike is a big plus.
Is mountain biking really any fun unless you’re practically bouncing up and down the trail? Well, that’s a question open for debate, but certainly everyone agrees in the importance of a super suspension system for absorbing big bounces.
The Recoil 29er has a Suntour XCM suspension fork with 120mm of travel. A coil shock with oil dampening gives the bike four inches of travel. An external preload adjustment lets you tailor the fork to your weight and riding style.
The rear shock coil is from Kindshock, which gives you a lot of confidence. You’ll know the rear coil is going to keep the back of the bike under your control even when passing over roots, rocks and more.
Dependable Brakes & Gear
When you’re tearing down a mountain trail at high speed you want brakes you can count on. The mechanical disc brakes outfitted on the Recoil 29er have all-weather stopping power. They’re Tektro Aires mechanical disc brakes which you’ll find to be very reliable.
The bike has a Suntour SR triple chainring crank with an eight-speed Shimano drivetrain. With 24 gearing options, you’ll have no problem riding up hills, across flat terrain and wherever.
Large wheels are a must for mountain bikes because they let you roll over obstacles without getting stuck. The Recoil 29er has, as the name suggests, 29-inch wheels. You’ll have no problem even on very rocky terrain. The Honey Badger 29-inch tires are just big enough to conquer the mountainside in ways smaller tires cannot. The Recoil moves smooth and fast over obstacles which would stop or slow other bikes.
Plus, you don’t sacrifice speed for size. The Recoil’s 29-inch wheels have a low rolling resistance. This makes them faster than similar bikes with 26-inch wheels, which is the industry standard. The bike zips along on firm terrain, too. While probably not the best choice for everyday urban living, don’t be surprised if you’re able to zip past city bikes with ease.
Full Suspension System
The debate between full suspension system and hardtail will never end among biking enthusiasts. There are benefits to both.
The full suspension system is the preferred choice of many for downward slopes. They’ll also take out a full suspension bike if they are biking a new trail.
Full suspension bikes seem more adaptable to extreme conditions on the trail in any direction. They can power up uneven terrain while also allowing for controlled descent.
- Frame: 6061 T-6 aluminum frame
- Rear Shock: Kindshock Coil, 190x51mm w/ Oil Damping
- Fork: SR Suntour XCT 29″, 100mm Travel, w/ Preload Adjust
- Headset: Zero Stack Ahead 1 1/8″
- Cranks: SR Suntour XCC, 42/32/22T
- Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge
- Front Derailleur Shimano Altus M310, Top Swing, Dual Pull, 34.9mm Clamp Diameter
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera M360, 8 Speed
- Shifter: Shimano Altus M310, 3×8 Speed Rapidfire
- Cogset: Shimano HG-31, 8 Speed Cassette, 11-32T
- Chain: KMC Z51, 8 Speed
- Front Hub: 32h SL-7 Alloy w/ CNC Disc Mount
- Rear Hub: 32h SL-7 Alloy w/ CNC Disc Mount, Cassette
- Spokes: 14g Stainless Steel
- Rims: DB SL7 29″ 32h, Doublewall
- Tires: Kenda Honey Badger 29x 2.2″
- Brakes: Tektro Aries Mechanical Disc, w/ 180mm Front / 160mm Rear Rotors
- Brake Levers: Tektro Alloy w/ Reach Adjust
- Extras Owner’s Manual, Assembly Guide, Tool Kit
- Accessories: DB Recoil 6061 T-6 Aluminum Trail w/ 4″ travel, Optimized Single Pivot, Machine Formed Top Tube, Butted / Formed Down Tube, Sealed Cartridge Bearing Pivot, w/ Replaceable Hanger
When you are first shopping around for a new mountain bike, you’ll feel so lost when trying to compare all the options. Eventually, you’ll learn quite a bit about bikes. You’ll find that the Diamondback Bicycles Recoil 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bike is an all-around great bike for practically any type of mountain riding.
Use the bike for single trails, fire trails, uphill climbs, downhill races and other outdoor activities. The lightweight frame is tough but mobile. You’ll especially love the large 29-inch tires which roll right over obstacles which would stall a smaller bike.
This is a great bike if you’re new to mountain biking because you’re getting a solid package of strong individual components. Both new and veteran mountain bikers will have a blast racing up and down mountain trails on the Diamondback Recoil 29er.
Incoming search terms:
- Diamondback Recoil 27 5 Review
- diamondback recoil 27 5
- Diamondback Recoil Trail 27 5 Full Suspension Mountain Bike canada
- diamondback recoil 29er - excellent mountain bike for single track
- diamondback recoil
- diamondback bicycles recoil 29er full suspension size chart
- diamond back 2016 full suspension 29 gear recoil
- take apart diamondback xct
- 2016 diamondback recoil procomp bike